So why did I choose 1996 as my first Throwback Thursday year? Honestly, I don’t know, it was a bit random. But also I wanted to pick a year that I personally have some connection to. Nothing super exciting happened for me in 1996 but I was a Freshman in High school that year and it was a bit of a “coming of age” year for me. So here are a few things you may remember from 1996
1) Romeo + Juliet – This was the year that Leonardo DiCaprio’s version of Romeo + Juliet came out. It wasn’t a particularly good mive by any means, but it’s a movie that I think any girl between the ages of 13 and 23 probably saw. I don’t remember much about the actual movie but I will never forget that moment in our English class when the teacher decided to show it without pre-screening it first. Needless to say when a certain scene came on I had never seen her jump up so fast and she was a bit red in the face as she was trying to block the screen. Oops.
2) Wannabe – Spice girls released their first number 1, Wannabe. There was definitely better music released that year but this is one of those songs that everyone knew the words to and it would get stuck in your head for days whether you wanted it to or not.
3) Computers – Around this time, in a 12 month period, the number of Internet host computers went from 1 million to 10 million. This year was the first year that many families had a computer in their home.
4) Cloning – in July of 1996 Dolly the Sheep became the first mammal to be successfully cloned leading to much controversy over the subject.
5) Summer olympics in Atlata – This was probably the first year I really watched the olympics. Mostly gymnastics. I had never paid any attention to gymnastics a day in my life but I still watched the “Magnificent Seven” with awe with the rest of the world. Team members were Shannon Miller, Dominique Moceanu, Dominique Dawes, Kerri Strug, Amy Chow, Amanda Borden, and Jaycie Phelps
What are some of the things that you remember from your Freshman year in High School?
this post may contain affiliate links. Any purchase made using a link from this post may result in a commission to help fund this website